Highlights from Episode 33:
- Special Guest Host and historian Jen cheerfully returns to torment us with this wretched cinematic outrage.
- To anaesthetize ourselves, Jen also provided two very strong beer selections:
- Double D Double IPA from Fordham & Dominion, weighing in at a muscular 9% ABV
- Whiskey Rebellion from Warped Wing Brewing Company, at a memory-clouding 11% ABV.
- Pete is absolutely thrilled with this month’s movie selection. Kathleen however, may struggle to speak to Jen in a civil tone for a while.
- Released the same year, this movie clearly hoped to capitalize on the marketing campaign behind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)
- Jen offers her historical expertise, helpfully pointing out a few historical inaccuracies. You know, in case we doubted the veracity of Roosevelt storming the beach at Normandy in a rocket-launching wheelchair to fight polio-spreading Nazi werewolves.
- We were unable to confirm whether Winston Churchill referred to the Irish as “potato fuckers,” if Mussolini was planning to open a chain of Olive Gardens, or if James Roosevelt shat in a flower vase after his father won the 1932 presidential election.
- We did learn James Roosevelt may not have actually taken a celebratory shit in a flower vase upon his father’s 1932 presidential victory. (It was this scene when Kathleen began levitating on pure rage at having to watch the movie.)
- Kathleen’s notes consisted of variations on “I hate this fucking movie” over and over again.
- Is it historically respectable to refer to George Washington as G-Dubs?
- Jen, who hates the taste of alcohol, agrees to sample a beer. It goes about as well as expected.
- Speaking of alcohol, high ABV beers + rage drinking = Kathleen hilarity.
- Did you know there’s an academic conference dedicated to popular culture where professors and grad students gather and dork out? We didn’t! Please visit the The Popular Culture Association website for more details!
- Six Pack Ratings:
- Jen: 0
- Troy: 5
- Pete: 1
- Kathleen: 5
- Dave: 5